Saturday, November 25, 2006

Mmmm, internships....

I've been posting a lot the past few days, but rest assured that this does not indicate an increase in the amount of thinking that I've been doing--it is simply an increase in the amount of time I have at my disposal to create useless blog posts. Today's topic: internships.

Everyone at G-dub is supposed to have an internship somewhere in their college career. Why? Because it looks really good on a resume and there is no reason to pay as much as we do and look bad on your resume. So around the time you become a sophomore, there's this big rush to try and get the best internships on the hill, keeping in mind that while G-dub kids are undoubtedly the closest to Capital Hill, we are still competing with kids from Georgetown, American, Catholic, and George Mason, all of whom have kids that came to DC for the same reason G-dub kids did. Your best bet is to try and get an internship with a senator or representative from your home state. Lucky enough for me, I am officially considered a resident of the great state of California now, which makes me eligible to apply for internships with such wonderful people as Speaker-Elect Nancy Pelosi, or Senator Dianne Feinstein (who is a ranking member of the Judiciary committee and the Terrorism and Homeland Security Subcommittee). I'm not going so far as to say that I think I'm guaranteed internships with either Congresswoman, but it's nice to know that I have the residency requirement down.

It has also been brought to my attention that the Japan Information and Culture Center (part of the Japanese Embassy) is looking for some interns as well. If the application wasn't due in a week and a half, I think I might have a shot at that one, but unfortunately, I don't think I do. It would be an amazing opportunity too, perhaps give me a chance to make my Japanese suck less. I'm sure that even if I don't qualify for this internship, I'll at least have fun applying. Maybe my Japanese teacher would write me a recommendation.... (*snicker*).

Anyway, the point of all of this is the experience. Not only does it look great on a resume to say that you worked for some important senator or a foreign embassy, it makes you feel good too. It's a good way to spend your school year doing something beyond reading a thousand different textbooks or writing a million different essays. It's an opportunity to show something for your years as an undergrad. Internships combine the benefits of a part-time job and an educational resource. Even if you don't go to some big DC school, I thoroughly encourage all of my undergrad listeners out there to see about nabbing an internship in your field of study. The experience is something unrivaled, and certain to be one of the more interesting experiences of your four years in college.

No comments: