Saturday, November 18, 2006

At least its not drugs

I've been known to spend outrageously when I get depressed. The addition of new pretties to my collection of material possessions is usually enough to distract me from whatever is going wrong in life. This semester has been no exception. While I have been having a wonderful semester so far, it has been a wonderful semester because I've been ignoring all the things that make me unhappy, rather than dealing with them. So far this year, I've bought myself a new computer (Nanashi), a new mp3 player (unnamed), a trip to Singapore, one of those slim PS2s (also as of yet unnamed) complete with both kingdom Hearts games, and a myriad of different pieces of clothing, jewelry, and shoes. These pretty things make me happy, if only for the fact that they are new and shiny. I know that they don't make all the bad things right. I know that they don't fix my emotional issues. But they do a good job of distracting me from all the stress and unhappiness that otherwise might consume me if I didn't have anything to distract me.

I've been told that this is just part of the coping process and that I shouldn't worry about it. But I can't really go around racking up my credit card bill to support my depression. I need to find a better way to deal with all the stress and drama of being a college student. My tuition is expensive enough without having to support a habit on top of it.

At least it's not drugs, right? ^_^

No comments: